Friday, July 25, 2008

in re Tourist Traps

So, I've made it to Jackson, Wy (sometimes called Jackson's Hole). It's the kind of place that's gotta be great to visit, if you have money. One of these days, I've got to figure out some way of getting some of that... It has to be shocking for anyone who grew up in this area just how fast it's become a tourist trap; the town is just barely more than a century old. The town square, which was known for having cattle and elk even into the 20's (and maybe 30's) is now surrounded by some rather pricey shops. The Teton Village is pushing the term "village".

It's not a bad town by any stretch. And I don't mean to imply that all that glitters is evil. It's just a bit of culture shock coming from Montana, where someone had put up signs stating their opinions of a housing development ("high density housing", it was called) that, had it been in Mass, would have been pretty well spread out.

Anyway, the view from the Teton Pass looking into the "Hole" (valley) was nice this am. I'll be heading into the hills for the next couple of days. I'll try to come out to pop my head up and post once or twice before heading up to Yellowstone.

P.S. I now have bear spray. I've been told that, if the spray isn't enough to deter the bear, the last resort is to cover yourself and hope the bear doesn't like the taste. I hope that part's a joke.

1 comment:

beachcomber said...

Pics are great. I enjoy reading about your travels.
Stay away from the bears, please!