Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Holy-Freakin'-Huge-Trees, Flying-Nocturnal-Echo-Locating-Mammal-Man!

I was almost going to skip Olympia National Park, and that would have been a crime. Looking at my schedule, I realized that I need to re-prioritize and spend an extra day in Washington exploring the Olympic Peninsula. Yet another place, that, you guessed it, deserves its own trip, and not just a quick run-through. Seattle is known for being a rainy-cloudy city, but it has nothing on the forests of the peninsula. Between rain and snow and etc, they get (on average) 140 inches of precipitation. (I forgot that snow gets "rescaled" when you calculate precipitation; it's something like a foot to an inch, or so.) The ridiculous amount of rain gives the trees in ONP a chance to grow incredibly large. They have a neat display in one of the ranger stations of trees grown in ONP compared to tress of the same species grown elsewhere. The difference is staggering! In the ONP, the trees can grown almost ten times as much in one year. It's hard to get the impact of the size of the trees across in pictures, you lose your sense of scale without a reference mark. So, since I had no one to better looking who'd volunteer, I had to model in my shots. Since I also had to work the camera, this meant that I would set up the tripod, set the camera to the timer, push the button, and run as fast as I could to get into position. Sounds easy, right?
This fella was well over two hundred feet tall / long.

No comments: