Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Food Files

Although I'm no Alton, Anthony, or Andrew, I decided before my trip began to try something "local" from each state or Province. I haven't always been successful at getting the most indigenous cuisine, but sometimes I got it right. So far, I've found Poutine (what the french call cheese curds) topping fries and smothered with gravy, deep fried dill pickles (their name pretty much says it all), and a Pasty (which is a kind of Shepperd's pie / calzone thing). The last two hailed from da UP, while the former was found somewhere along the Trans-Canadian Highway, along the border of Ontario and Quebec Provinces. I'm told that I need to find deep fried curds while I am here in Minneapolis. I'm also told that the best are far and a way at the state fair, which I will sadly be missing. (Looking up some dates on line, I appear to be missing every state fair along my route.)
There's Cheese Curds in there somewhere under the gravy. The curds I liked; the gravy I could have done without.


Deep Fried Dill Pickles, and, of course, something to help wash them down.




The Meat Pasty. (pronounced with a short 'a', like pasta-y) This was surprisingly good. I was expecting some sort of soggy meat-stew-filled croissant. The pasty's crust was very pie like (tender, flaky) and not at all soggy. The sauce that came with it was pretty much all you needed for flavor additions, and, because it was on the side, the whole thing stayed together while I ate it.

The Pasty and the Pickles were found at Tahquamenon Falls Brewery and Pub (found right in the Tahquamenon Falls State Park - a brewpub in a state park out-figgin-stading!).

No comments: